You may be asking yourself, “Can Calphalon pans go in the dishwasher?” This is a question that I have asked myself many times. Like most people, my kitchen contains several pieces of Calphalon cookware.
I like to make complicated dishes that can only be done with high-quality pans. The pots and pans are beautiful but expensive.
In this blog post, I will discuss the reasons why you should and shouldn’t put your Calphalon pans in the dishwasher.
Can Calphalon pans go in the dishwasher?
Yes, Calphalon pans can be washed in the dishwasher. They are dishwasher-safe and can be washed on the top rack of your dishwasher. The hard-anodized aluminum coating on the pans makes them nonstick and therefore easy to clean.
Although Calphalon pans are dishwasher-safe, it is important to use caution. If you must wash them in the dishwasher, be sure to use a gentle cycle with low heat and avoid using any harsh detergents. The high temperatures of dishwashers can damage pans over time and cause them to warp. To avoid this, scrub your Calphalon pans with warm running water and a non-abrasive cleaner after each use.
It has also been noted that using a dishwasher may cause the exterior of your Calphalon pan to get discolored and have a ruined finish. Experts have agreed and recommend hand washing for the safest results.
What could happen to your Calphalon pan if you put it in the dishwasher?
Even though Calphalon pans are considered dishwasher-safe, using them in the dishwasher could cause a number of problems. If you notice any of these problems, it’s best to not put them in the dishwasher again. According to people who use Calphalon pans, these are four of the biggest issues that arise from placing them in the dishwasher.
Putting any pan or dish in the dishwasher that is not totally dishwasher safe can end in tragedy and can end with your pan being totally ruined. Keeping this in mind, there are a few reasons why you should avoid putting a Calphalon pan in the dishwasher to help keep it looking great and working the way that you want it to for longer.
Non-stick surface scratches on your Calphalon pan
Calphalon has a non-stick coating that helps to keep food from adhering to the surface of the pan when cooking. Putting a Calphalon pan in the dishwasher can cause scratches and unnecessary wear and tear to the non-stick coating. This can also weaken the non-stick coating so that it is less effective over time.
Discoloration of your Calphalon pan
Still, another issue that might pop up is that the color of your pan is likely to fade. Calphalon pans are made with a colored coating that is on the exterior of the pan. They then have a thin layer of protective coating that gives the pan the shine and vibrance that we love. When you put a pan in the dishwasher, the very high heat and abrasive cleaning agents can break down the protective coating and lead to a pan that is far less vibrant.
Weakening of the non-stick surface of your Calphalon pan
I know this sounds odd, but the scolding hot water from the dishwater inside an airtight compartment can lead to materials (even metals) contracting and expanding. Over time, the bond between these metal molecules becomes weakened.
This is what could slowly but surely happen to the non-stick surface of your pan. As hot water is introduced to it over the years, it will begin to lose its structural integrity and even the adhesion to the pan itself will become breached.
This could lead to pieces of the coat becoming brittle and breaking or scratching off easily.
Calphalon pan handle damage
Another issue with using the dishwasher is that it can damage the handle of the pan as well. These handles are made of plastic and metal and are meant to be durable, but the dishwasher is a bit rougher with cleaning and this can cause damage to the plastic of the handle, the bolts that secure it to the pan, and more.
How to clean Calphalon pans in the dishwasher?
Most Calphalon pans are not recommended to be washed in this dishwasher, but if you feel that you have to, there are some things you can do to protect your pan. The Calphalon Premier range is dishwasher safe, but you do still need to take some precautions to keep them looking great.
- The first is to prewash your pans. Use warm, soapy water and a gentle cleaning pad or rag and wash off any large pieces of residue or any cooked-on mess. This will help to reduce the amount of time that it needs to be in the dishwasher.
- If your dishwasher has a gentle setting or a low setting, use it. This is going to help, again, reduce the time that the pan has to be in the dishwasher and is also likely going to lower the overall temperature of the dishwasher cycle.
- If you can lower the temperature of the dishwasher manually, do it. This will help protect the pan and make sure that it does not damage the coating or the color.
- Avoid cleansers with bleach and harsh chemicals. Use a gentle detergent that is bleach-free as it is less likely to damage the non-stick coating.
- Do not use the dishwasher’s dry cycle. If you are using a dishwasher to clean your pan, you should not put the pan in for the dry cycle. This intense heat can greatly damage the exterior of your pan and the interior as well.
How to clean Calphalon pans without a dishwasher?
If you want to ensure your pan is going to last longer and avoid having to use the dishwasher, you can always hand wash your Calphalon pans. This is the best way to make sure that they are going to last and that they are going to look great for a long time.
To handwash, use warm soapy dishwater and a gentle, non-abrasive sponge or rag to wipe away food mess. If there is something stuck on the pan, allow it to soak in the warm water until it releases and can be wiped away.
How long do Calphalon pans last if you only clean them in the dishwasher?
If you are washing your Calphalon pan in the dishwasher every time you use it, there is really no statistical evidence to prove how long it is going to last.
There is, however, some data that does suggest that repeated use of the dishwasher to clean your pans is going to slowly break down the non-stick coating. It can lead to the coating flaking and peeling, it can lead to scratches and gouges that make the pan unusable, and it can dull the color as well.
Using a dishwasher will greatly reduce the longevity of the life of your pan and can possibly void your warranty as well.
How long is the Calphalon pan warranty?
Calphalon pans come with a ten year warranty but the warranty is not going to pay for damage that was caused by negligence or by not taking proper care of your pan. If the damage is clearly caused by negligence, you are not going to be able to get your money back or a replacement pan.
Can you restore the non-stick surface of Calphalon pans?
You can re-season a non-stick pan to help make it work again. To do this, you need to clean the pan with baking soda and vinegar, then heat this mixture on medium until it boils. You then need to wash the pan and apply a very thin layer of oil to the surface. If you are willing to give it a try, you can also purchase non-stick restore spray at cooking supply stores that may help you restore your pan.
Which Calphalon pans are dishwasher safe and which are not?
Calphalon pans that are dishwasher-safe
- Calphalon Premier Stainless Steel
- Calphalon Premier Nonstick
- Calphalon Premier Space Saving Stainless Steel
- Calphalon Premier Space Saving Hard Anodized Nonstick
- Calphalon Williams-Sonoma Elite Nonstick
- Calphalon Signature Stainless Steel
- Calphalon Signature Nonstick
- Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel
- Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick
- Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel
- Calphalon Accucore Stainless Steel
- Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel
- Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel No Boil Over Cookware
- Select By Calphalon Stainless Steel Cookware
- Select By Calphalon Nonstick Cookware
- Select By Calphalon Space Saving Nonstick Cookware
- Select By Calphalon Space Saving Stainless Steel Cookware
- Simply Calphalon Stainless Steel
- Simply Calphalon Enamel Cast Iron
- Cooking With Calphalon Stainless Steel
- Cooking With Calphalon Refiend Stainless
- Calphalon Kitchen Essentials Stainless Steel
- Calphalon Unison Nonstick
Try to avoid dishwashing detergents that have bleach or citrus additives in them. Before the first time you put it in your dishwasher, hand wash it. When hand-washing, use a liquid dishwashing detergent that is non-abrasive and use an equally non-abrasive sponge or soft bristle brush.
Calphalon pans that are not dishwasher-safe
- Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper
- Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized
- Calphalon Classic Nonstick Cookware
- Calphalon Classic Nonstick No Boil Over Cookware
- Calphalon Classic Ceramic Nonstick Cookware
- Calphalon Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron
- Select By Calphalon Oil Infused Ceramic Nonstick Cookware
- Select By Calphalon Cast Iron Cookware
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick
- Simply Calphalon Easy System
- Simply Calphalon Enamel Nonstick
- Cooking With Calphalon Nonstick
- Cooking With Ceramic Nonstick
- Cooking With Calphalon Enamel
- Calphalon Kitchen Essentials Nonstick
- Calphalon Kitchen Essentials Ceramic Nonstick
- Calphalon Kitchen Essentials Aspire
- Calphalon One Infused Anodized
- Calphalon One Nonstick
Tips to safely clean your Calphalon pan in the dishwasher
- It is important to note that anodized aluminum and Teflon coating are not the same. If you have a pan with an anodized aluminum finish, it is safe to clean in the dishwasher. However, if your pan has a Teflon coating, it is not safe to clean in the dishwasher. High heat and harsh chemicals can damage the finish of the pan and cause it to discolor.
- Although handwashing is the best way to clean Calphalon pans, if you are in a bind and must use a dishwasher, there are some precautions you can take. First and foremost, make sure your dishwasher is set on the gentle cycle with low heat and uses non-abrasive dishwashing detergent. Additionally, make sure to remove your pan from the dishwasher as soon as the cycle is finished and towel dry it immediately.
- Do not use metal utensils on your non-stick pans as this can scratch the coating and make them less effective.
- Do not immerse your pans in water for a long period of time, as this can cause the metal to rust. It’s even worse if the non-stick coating is damaged or the pan’s metal is exposed.
- Wash your pans with warm, soapy water and a soft cloth.
- If needed, you can use a mild abrasive such as Bar Keeper’s Friend to remove stubborn stains.
- To protect the coating, you can apply a light coat of cooking oil after each wash. Leave the oil to thinly cover the entire surface of your pan, both inside and out. Place it in the oven if it is oven-safe, or place it on the stove and heat it up. The oil will polymerize and turn into a natural, thin, nonstick coating. This is what’s called seasoning.
- A dishwasher uses extremely hot water to clean. If you place your Calphalon pans inside a dishwasher, the high temperature environment could cause the pan to expand and contract on a microscopic level. Continuous usage of the dishwasher to clean your pan will eventually cause it to wear and tear faster. Over the years, this can result in a duller, slightly warped pan.
- The intense heat and detergent can cause the finish on your pan to become uneven and the colors to fade.
Other interesting articles: