You can’t help but think about last weekend. You were invited over to a friend’s house, and you had the best time. The food was amazing, but what really surprised you was that your friend made it all on a griddle.
Now you’re thinking of getting one yourself—but you don’t know anything about griddles. How do they work? What are the different types? How do you clean it?
We’ve got you covered. Here’s everything you need to know as a beginner griddle.
How do Griddles Work?
Griddles are cooking appliances with a flat cast iron top that is heated by several straight burners located underneath it.
The burners heat the cast iron top of the griddle, and you can then cook your food on this flat top.
Different types of griddles work in different ways—we’ll be covering how electric, Blackstone, and pan griddles work in this article.
There are a variety of ways to season and preheat a griddle, and we’ll be covering how to do this in this article.
Seasoning your griddle will help to create a non-stick surface on which to cook your food, and preheating the griddle will ensure that your food cooks evenly.
The Benefits of Using a Griddle
A griddle is a versatile piece of cookware that can be used for a variety of cooking styles.
Frying pans are commonly used for tasks such as making toasted sandwiches, pizza, chicken, and meat slices.
However, a griddle can also be used for multiple purposes to enhance the cooking experience.
For example, a griddle can be used to cook eggs, pancakes, and grilled cheese sandwiches. Additionally, a griddle can be used to sear meat or vegetables.
Griddles from Blackstone are perfect for those who enjoy camping or tailgating.
They are quick to assemble and can cook food quickly and efficiently. This makes them ideal for cooking while on the go.
Not only do they save time, but they also save energy since you won’t need to use multiple burners on a stovetop.
If you have a large kitchen, you may want to consider a larger griddle.
If you plan on cooking a lot of food at once, you may want to consider a larger griddle.
If you only plan on cooking small amounts of food at a time, a smaller griddle may be sufficient.
A griddle cooks food evenly, so you don’t have to worry about hot spots or uneven cooking. This can help you save time because you won’t have to move your food around so much while it cooks.
It also means that you’ll be able to enjoy the same delicious taste no matter where on the griddle your food is placed.
Griddles typically have smooth surfaces that are easy to clean up after cooking.
This means that you can just wipe them down with a damp cloth and you’re done. You don’t have to worry about scrubbing off sticky residue or greasy spots.
The cooking plate is usually made out of A36 steel which means that it’s durable, easy to clean, and can withstand high temperatures.
This makes them ideal for use in professional kitchens. Food slides right off these surfaces.
What’s cooking on a griddle like?
Griddles are great for cooking burgers quickly and simultaneously cooking vegetables.
The heat is controllable and therefore less likely to result in flare-ups. Griddles are also excellent for cooking pancakes and eggs. And they’re great for making paninis!
It’s an enjoyable experience to cook on a griddle, especially if you’re cooking with friends and family.
Griddles are great for cooking pancakes and eggs, as well as burgers and paninis. Use a griddle, and you’ll find yourself using it more than you expected.
How to use a griddle
Griddles are a great tool if you know how to use them. There are a few different types of griddles, but today we are going to discuss those that have their own power and heat source.
When you decide to use a griddle over your traditional stove, it is important to find the right griddle for you. There are griddles made of stainless steel, ceramic, cast iron, and more.
When you have decided what material is going to work for you, you then need to determine what size griddle you need. Larger griddles are great for large families or for those that are cooking for a large number of people.
You also need to decide if you need a griddle that has its own power source or if you want one that you can lay across the burners of your stove to heat.
After you have chosen all those factors, you can start using your griddle.
With the plug-in models, you need to make sure you have an area where you can plug it in and keep it from burning you or catching things on fire.
The Different types of Griddles
A gas griddle is a type of grill that uses natural gas or propane as its heat source.
The grill consists of a flat surface with burner(s) underneath and is used to cook food on.
Gas griddles are popular because they can reach high temperatures quickly, and can be used to cook a variety of foods.
Gas griddles work by heating the air around the food, which in turn cooks the food. The heat is evenly distributed across the surface of the grill so that all areas are cooked evenly.
Gas griddles are often used to cook burgers, steaks, chicken, fish, and vegetables.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to cook food outdoors, then a gas griddle might be right for you.
They’re perfect for camping trips or picnics, and can even be used indoors if you have proper ventilation.
An electric griddle is a type of cooking appliance that uses electrically heated coils to cook food.
The coils fire up until the desired temperature is reached, then turn off.
Electric griddles are faster and easier than traditional grills or stovetops, and they’re perfect for camping or outdoor cooking as long as you can find a suitable power source.
Griddles with stainless steel surface plates
There are some benefits to a stainless steel griddle that might make it a great option for you.
- Stainless steel isn’t going to put any flavor into your food.
- They are easy to clean and they do not need to be seasoned.
- They are high quality and durable.
- They are easy to use.
There are also some drawbacks that might make it hard to use this type of griddle.
- They can be hard to use if you do not heat them properly.
- They can be hard to clean.
Griddles with cast iron surface plates
There are tons of great benefits to using a cast iron griddle as well.
- Cast iron has great heat retention. This means your food is going to cook evenly and quickly.
- It is easy to use and clean.
- They can be nearly totally non-stick if they are seasoned properly.
- They are great for cooking large amounts of food.
There are also some drawbacks that you should be aware of.
- Cast iron can flavor food.
- Food can stick if the griddle is not seasoned properly.
- They can be heavy and hard to move around.
Griddles with ceramic surface plates
Ceramic grill plates are also a good option if you want to find a great griddle.
- These are very durable and strong.
- great for everyday use.
- They heat up very quickly and distribute heat evenly.
- They are nearly scratch-proof.
There are some drawbacks that you should think of as well.
- The ceramic coating can chip and crack if not taken proper care of.
- The coating can also become stained if you are not cleaning them properly.
Griddles with chrome surface plates
Chrome is another option if you are looking for a great griddle.
- Chrome heats up quickly and does not transfer flavor.
- It helps to keep the food the same color and will not darken foods.
- It is very unlikely that the food is going to stick to the burner.
- They are great for energy savings.
There are also some drawbacks that you need to keep in mind.
- They can be pricey.
- They do need to be seasoned to keep food from sticking to the griddle.
How to Season a Griddle
There are a few different steps that you need to take to season your griddle properly.
- First, you need to make sure the griddle is very hot, this is going to help open up the pores of the griddle to help get it ready for use.
- You then need to apply oil or fat evenly across the surface of the griddle.
- Let the oil cook for a few minutes until it appears to have disappeared.
- You can either let the griddle cool back down and wait to use it again later, or you can start griddling now.
How to Clean a Griddle
There are some tips that you can use to help clean your griddle properly as well.
- The first thing you need to do is let the griddle cool down entirely. This is going to help ensure that you are safe and that you are not going to get burnt.
- Scrape off any large pieces of food that are stuck on the griddle.
- You then need to use a warm rag with a very small bit of soap on it to wipe down the surface.
- If there is stuck food, you can use a scrubber to remove the food.
- Make sure you rinse the griddle properly before you put it away.
There are some things that you need to keep in mind to stay safe while using your griddle.
- Make sure it is placed on a surface that is heat resistant.
- Make sure your griddle is not near anything that can catch on fire and that it is away from the edge.
- Ensure you are being careful and not touching the surface as it can burn you very badly.
Some tips for using your griddle can help make cooking easy.
- Make sure your griddle is clean before you start using it.
- Make sure it is seasoned to keep food from sticking to the surface.
- Make sure you clean it totally before you put it away.
What do you cook on a griddle?
Many different kinds of food can be successfully cooked on a griddle, including pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches, meats, eggs, omelets, vegetables, and french toast.
The griddle offers a lot of versatility, so try to cook many different things on it.
If you would normally make something in a frying pan, it can probably be prepared on your griddle without much of a difference.
What parts make up a griddle?
The flat top or surface plate
The flat top is the most important part of the griddle. It is a plate of steel that has been smoothed to make it easier to cook food.
The smoothness of the steel means there are no cold spots, so the food cooks evenly.
This is why the burger in the top right corner is just as good as the burger in the middle.
The grease collector
The grease collector is a vital part of the griddle. It helps to keep the griddle clean and free of grease build-up.
The burner or heating element
The burner on a griddle is responsible for heating the cooking surface to the desired temperature.
The number of BTUs (British thermal units) that a burner produces will determine how quickly the griddle can heat up.
Some burners may have multiple settings that allow you to control the temperature of the cooking surface. To start cooking, simply push the igniter and the gas flow will begin.
The temperature controls
The temperature controls on a griddle let you set the cooking temperature to your desired level.
This is done by either using a thermostat or manual controls.
Thermostats work by sensing the temperature of the griddle surface and automatically adjusting the heat output to maintain the set temperature.
Manual controls, on the other hand, do not have this feature and require you to adjust the heat output manually.
How hot can a griddle get?
A griddle can get as hot as the gas burner will allow it, which is usually up to seven hundred degrees Fahrenheit or more.
If you have an electric griddle, you can get up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or as high as 450 degrees Fahrenheit for some of the more powerful models. Around 450 degrees Fahrenheit is a good temperature for searing.
Are there interesting articles: