Who doesn’t love caramelized onions?
They’re sweet and savory, crispy and soft, and they make any dish better.
But the problem is that caramelizing onions can make a mess and require a lot of work to cook if you’re doing it on your stovetop.
Luckily, there’s an easier way: using your air fryer!
An air fryer lets you cook your food in a fraction of the time it would take in the oven or on the stovetop, and it even turns out better than microwaving.
It’s also much easier to make caramelized onions perfect every time in an air fryer.
Here are some tips for making sure your onions turn out perfectly every time.
How do you make caramelized onions in an air fryer?
We all love a good caramelized onion, but they can take a long time on the stove and can be easy to burn. You can make them in the air fryer if you take the time to follow these tips.
- Slice onions thin. The thinner the onion, the faster it is going to caramelize, and the better it gets.
- Either toss your onions in a light oil like olive or vegetable oil, or spray them after they have been put in the basket.
- For a very caramelized onion, you want to cook it right in the basket with no real liners or foil. If you did not toss your onions in oil, spritz them lightly.
- Set your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for ten minutes.
- Flip halfway through.
- If you are happy with the way that they look after ten minutes, take them out and enjoy.
What temperature should you caramelize onions in an air fryer?
If you want your onions to be fully caramelized, you do want it to be about 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is going to be hot enough to both soften the onions and give them some great color and flavor.
How long should you put onions in an air fryer to caramelize them?
You want to start with a ten-minute cook time, flip them halfway through, and then also make sure you are checking.
If they are as brown and caramelized as you want them to be after ten minutes, great.
If they need more time, add it or if they need less time, you can adjust based on the overall look and taste that you want for your onions.
What are some tips for making the best caramelized onions in an air fryer?
When making onions in the air fryer, there are a few things you do need to keep in mind and that you need to follow for the best onions possible.
- Slice them thin. The thinner the better. If you want your onions to caramelize fast and taste great, you want them to be sliced thin.
- Make sure you add enough oil. With most foods that you are adding to the air fryer, you want to avoid adding extra oil. For a good caramelized onion, you do need to make sure you add enough oil.
- Flip them halfway and move them around. This is going to help you ensure that all sides of the onion get caramelized and that all sides get even heat and even cooking time.
- Pay attention. This is the biggest and most important thing to remember. You need to pay attention to the onions. They can burn so quickly and they can go south in a matter of seconds. This is not something you can start cooking and then walk away from. You do need to pay close attention to them.
- If you want your onions crispy, you should leave your onions on for a bit longer. You may also want to make sure your onions are in a single layer when cooking and that they have plenty of space for the air to circulate.
Can you add any extra ingredients when caramelizing onions in an air fryer?
You can add whatever you want when you are caramelizing onions. You can add salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, and whatever else flavoring that you might want to add to get the best-tasting onions.
How do you know when the onions are done in an air fryer?
The biggest challenge when caramelizing onions is knowing when they’re done. You want them to be a deep golden brown, but if you cook them too long they’ll become burnt and bitter.
The key is to cook them low and slow. In an air fryer, this means cooking them at a lower temperature for a longer period of time.
Another important thing to remember is to check on them every few minutes, stirring them occasionally, until they’re a deep golden brown.
Once it develops a sweet and savory smell, you can serve it immediately.
What can you do with caramelized onions from the air fryer?
Caramelized onions from the air fryer are perfect for:
- Topping a burger or sandwich
- Adding to a salad
- Making a savory omelet
- Serving as a side dish
- Mixing into pasta or rice
- Making a pizza topping
- Adding to a soup or stew
Storage requirements and expiration dates of caramelized onions from an air fryer?
Once they are done, remove the onions from the air fryer and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
Once they are cooled, transfer the onions to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 1 week.
If you want to freeze them, place the onions in a freezer-safe bag or container and store them for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to use them, thaw the onions overnight in the fridge or in a bowl of warm water.
Are there any differences in caramelized onions in an air fryer compared to elsewhere?
When it comes to caramelizing onions on the stove instead of in the air fryer, you do have a bit more control.
You can cook them down low and slow rather than quickly which means you do have a bit more control over the final product.
Onions cooked on the stove are going to be a bit softer than onions that you are air frying, even if you do not do it for a very long time.
The main difference is that you are going to have to wait a lot longer if you are cooking them on the stove.
With air-fried caramelized onions, you only have to wait about ten minutes. With onions on the stove, it can take up to 20 minutes to get a great outcome.
What kind of onion can you caramelize in an air fryer?
You can use any type of onion that you want in your air fryer for your caramelized onions. It really depends on the flavor that you are looking for.
Something like a Vedalia onion is going to be sweeter whereas a white or yellow onion is going to have a much sharper onion flavor.
A purple onion is going to be a bit richer in flavor, and a challot is going to be a concentrated onion flavor without a ton of product.
When choosing different varieties of onion, you want to think about what the taste of the onion itself is which can then help you choose the right onion for your purposes.
If you want something sweeter, go for a sweet onion, if you want something that tastes like French onion soup look for a white or yellow onion.
Experiment until you get the flavor that you like and that you are looking for.