How to Dehydrate Herbs in an Air Fryer (The Complete Guide!)
I love using an air fryer. I really do! It’s not just for fried food anymore, and it can be used to dehydrate herbs in your house too!
This is a simple process that doesn’t require a lot of special equipment or ingredients. You just need one thing: an air fryer.
So let’s get started.
How to dehydrate herbs in an air fryer
To dehydrate herbs in an air fryer, you will need to first choose the type of herb you would like to dehydrate. There are many herbs that can be dehydrated in an air fryer, including basil, cilantro, chives, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, and more. The process is simple. Clean, prep, and dry it. Then spread it out evenly on your air fryer tray. Finally, set your air fryer to dehydration mode, or 125 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 to 3 hours, and you’re done.
Here are the detailed steps:
- Start by harvesting your herbs.
- Pick the ones that are fresh.
- Clean, rinse, and dry them using a paper towel.
- Cut your herbs into smaller sizes, but not too small or they will fly around while in the air fryer.
- Set your air fryer’s temperature to 125 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread your prepped herbs evenly over the tray or air fryer basket.
- Place it in your air fryer.
- Grab a rack and leave it over your herbs to hold them down.
- Air fry for about 1 to 3 hours, depending on the amount you’re dehydrating.
- Frequently monitor your air fryer’s progress.
- The dehydration process is complete when the herbs crumble in your hands.
- Let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Place your dehydrated herbs into an airtight container or Ziplock bag. (try to remove as much air as possible before sealing it).
- Place your herbs either in a cool, dry area away from sunlight so they can last up to 3 months or in the refrigerator or freezer so they can last up to a year.
Why dehydrate herbs?
One of the best ways to preserve the flavor, aroma, and potency of herbs is to dehydrate them. This can be done in an oven or a food dehydrator, but air fryers are a great option because they use less energy and take up less space.
One reason for dehydrating herbs is that they are nutrient-rich foods. Parsley, for example, is rich in folate, a B vitamin that protects your heart and may reduce your risk of heart disease. Parsley is also high in other nutrients, such as potassium and magnesium, which can help to maintain good health. Dehydrating herbs also preserves their flavor and nutritional value, so you can enjoy them all year long.
Herbs are a great way to add flavor to dishes, and dehydrating them can make them more versatile. Dehydrating herbs also helps preserve their nutrients, which is important because herbs are often high in vitamins and minerals.
Uses for dehydrated herbs
Dehydrating herbs is a great way to preserve their flavor and nutritional value. You can dehydrate them at a low temperature slowly to keep the flavor and nutrients intact. Herbs can be used in a variety of dishes, including, but not limited to, soups, stews, casseroles, and rice dishes.
In addition, herbs are used to flavor pizza sauce, pasta, and salads. Commonly used herbs include parsley, basil, and oregano. Dehydrated herbs can be stored in an airtight container for up to six months.
Herbs can also be used for various purposes outside of the kitchen. For example, many people use herbs for their health benefits in herbal teas. Herbal tea is a great way to get the nutrients and antioxidants from herbs without having to eat them. This is a convenient way to get the benefits of herbs if you don’t like the taste or if you’re on the go.
Should you wash herbs before dehydrating them in an air fryer?
Yes, you should wash herbs before dehydrating them in an air fryer. It is important to clean the herbs before dehydrating them, as this will help remove any dirt or debris that may be on the leaves. This will also help to ensure that your herbs are dried evenly and thoroughly.
When dehydrating herbs, it is important to make sure that they are completely dry before air-frying them. However, you should be aware that fresh herbs shrink when dried, so look for an air fryer that offers a larger drying area and/or shelves.
How long does it take to dehydrate herbs in an air fryer?
Surprisingly, using your air fryer to dehydrate herbs takes only minutes to complete the job. An air fryer would blow out consistently hot air, which would dehydrate and cause the herb to shrivel up quickly.
Depending on how much you have in your air fryer and how big you cut them into, it should really take about 1 to 3 hours to fully dehydrate your herbs. There’s been some confusion over the internet based on what the search results show. Don’t get confused with the difference between dry and dehydrated. The idea of drying your herbs is a simple process of removing water from the surface. If you’d rather just dry your herbs using an air fryer, then it will simply take five minutes at 360 degrees Fahrenheit. But, if you want to dehydrate your herbs and remove all the water from them, then you’ll want to keep them in your air fryer for 1 to 3 hours at 125 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
It’s very important that you constantly monitor your herbs as they dehydrate in your air fryer. The easiest way to monitor your herbs while they dehydrate is to own an air fryer oven. Air fryer ovens have glass doors that will allow you to see into the chamber instead of having to remove the basket in a basket style air fryer.
How to keep your dried herbs from flying around in an air fryer
In many cases, if you own an air fryer that has a dehydrator setting, then this would automatically run the fans at the lowest settings possible. This won’t likely cause your herbs to fly around. The lowest settings during dehydration mode are usually just to provide a constant low-grade breeze within the air fryer.
However, many people have basket-style air fryers or air fryers that don’t have the dehydrating setting. In this case, it may be a good idea to place all your herbs under a rack to cover them. Also, it’s a good idea not to cut your herbs up into pieces that are too small. The smaller your pieces are, the lighter they become. And that will mean that they could potentially fly around inside the air fryer. I would recommend just placing your herbs right on top of your tray, and then placing the rack right above it to hold it down.
How long do dehydrated herbs last?
Dried herbs typically last 3 months to 1 year, but this can vary depending on the herb and where you store it. Herbs that are high in volatile oils, such as rosemary and thyme, will have a shorter shelf life than those that are not.
Herbs are generally dried when they crumble and the stems break when bent. The leaves will be brittle and have a dusty appearance. Once herbs are completely dried, they should be stored in an airtight container.
How to store dehydrated herbs
Herbs can be dehydrated in an air fryer and then stored for future use. Parsley is a good herb to start with because it is easy to dry and store. It should be stored in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
Dry herbs must be kept in a cool, dark, and dry place. Keep it away from direct sunlight and heat. If you don’t have an airtight container, then you can use plastic Ziploc bags. Try to remove as much air as you can before you seal it.
Storing your dehydrated herbs in a cupboard may allow them to last up to three months. But if you keep it in the refrigerator or freezer, it can last up to one year.
How to tell if dehydrated herbs are still good
Basil is a great herb to dehydrate because it has a long shelf life. However, you will still need to check it for signs of spoilage before using it. Look for any black spots or mold and discard any herbs that have them.
When checking to see if it is still good, feel the texture of the basil leaves. They should be brittle and crumbly. The color shouldn’t be too faded to an extremely pale color, signifying that it may be too old.
When dehydrating herbs, it is important to store them in an airtight container and look for expiration dates or storage instructions. If the herbs are stored properly, they should last for up to a year.
One other thing I would recommend you do is mark or label your container with the date of when it was dehydrated. This will allow you to monitor and keep an eye on how long it’s been since you made it. This will also make it easier to determine whether you should throw your dehydrated herbs away or not since it will be easy to see if they are more than a year old.
Is it dangerous to eat old dehydrated herbs?
Arguably speaking, dried herbs and spices don’t really expire because they’re still safe to consume past their expiration date of one year. However, you lose a lot of the flavor that was originally concentrated in those herbs.
The only things you risk losing are the potency over time and the flavor in the food if you were to use old, dehydrated herbs and spices.
Tips for using an air fryer to dehydrate
- An air fryer is a great way to quickly and easily dehydrate fruits and vegetables. It offers a healthy alternative to traditional methods of dehydration, such as using an oven or a food dehydrator. Additionally, air frying is a quick process, so you’ll be able to have dried fruits and vegetables in no time!
- An air fryer is a great way to dehydrate herbs because you can always adjust the temperature settings as needed. For instance, if the herb is not drying quickly enough, you can increase the temperature. This way, you’ll be able to avoid burning your herbs and ruining their flavor and nutritional value.
- Air fryers are a great way to dehydrate herbs. They have a temperature range of 125 degrees to 150 degrees Fahrenheit, which is perfect for drying herbs. When using an air fryer to dehydrate your herbs, make sure you keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- An air fryer is a great way to dehydrate herbs because it circulates hot air around the food, providing even dehydration. This results in food that is evenly dried and has a better flavor than food that is dehydrated in an oven or on a stovetop.
- The time it takes to dehydrate the herb will depend on the type of herb. The thicker and harder the leaves, the longer it will take.
- Before dehydrating herbs in an air fryer, it is important to get enough information on the type of herb you want to dry. Different herbs will require different drying times and temperatures.
Other interesting articles: