How to Get Fish Sauce Smell Out of your Plastic Container
This is for all the people who absolutely love the taste of fish sauce but absolutely hate the smell it leaves behind your kitchenware.
It’s the difference between light and dark, the battle between good and evil, and the struggle between yummy and smelly!
In this article, I want to try to help you continue on with eating foods that have fish sauce as an ingredient without the lingering smell that stays with your plastic Tupperware.
How to get the smell of fish sauce off your plastic container
I’m going to start off right away with exactly how to remove fish sauce from your Tupperware. This is the most effective (and most traditional) way I can find when it comes to making sure each and every ounce of that scent doesn’t Linger on and you can enjoy your Tupperware if you want the store something else in it.
- Right after you’re done with your meal from your Tupperware, fill it up with water
- Grab your dishwashing soap in add a few drops to the water and mix it up
- Let it soak for several hours in the mixture
- Grab your sponge with dishwasher soap and start scrubbing the entirety of the Tupperware
- Focus on the inside where the smell is coming from
- Rinse off all the soap with running water from the sink
- Reapply more dishwashing soap to your sponge
- Repeat scrubbing on the Tupperware once more
- Finally, rinse off all the soap and make sure it’s squeaky clean if you rub your fingers on it
Alternative tips on how to get rid of the fish smell from your plastic containers
Each of these methods requires a lengthy amount of time or some cleverness. Some methods really can’t be explained but work. Here’s everything we’ve gathered throughout the years from experience and word of mouth.
In no way are you limited to trying one of these alone. You can mix and experiment until you find the best method that works for you.
Activated charcoal can absorb the smell of fish sauce from your plastic container
For those not aware of what activated charcoal is or its effects, it is a chemically treated form of charcoal. The enzymatic materials used to treat the charcoal increase the amount of oxygen. Thereby making it a bit spongier than normal. This permits the charcoal to absorb foul odors easier.
Fish is not the only scent that this activated charcoal can get rid of. These other odors are mold, pet smells, and rubbish. The best way to use activated charcoal to get the smell of fish out of your plastic container is:
- Buy activated charcoal, preferably in granule form.
- Make a packet of activated charcoal by doing the following: take a cheesecloth, muslin, or similar fabric and pour the granules in it. Then, use a string to tie it off.
- Place the packet of activated charcoal into the plastic container for a few hours.
- Remove the packet from the plastic container, smell it–notice how there is no more fish smell. The activated charcoal has eliminated the scent of the fish! Either permanently, or until the next time, you have fish for lunch.
You can try using baking soda to get rid of the fish smell
Baking soda is another option to rid your plastic container of that fishy smell. It is a rather simple method to use by following these easy steps:
- Fill the container half full of water, ensure the lid also gets wet.
- Add at least one tablespoon of baking soda.
- Scatter baking soda on the wet lid and seal the plastic container.
- Wait at least an hour, then rinse the container with more water. There should be no more fish scent.
- A bigger container will require the use of more baking soda. Also, if the smell of fish is extremely powerful and pungent.
Mix water and dish soap and let it soak all night
Suppose you do not have access to baking soda, or activated charcoal. In that case, there is a more straightforward way to eliminate that fishy smell from a plastic container. Try soaking the container overnight in some warm water and liquid dish detergent. Allowing the warm soapy water to soak into the plastic not only alleviates odors but also eliminates stains.
Using really hot water
Boiling water used alone to rid a container of fish smell is not an ideal method. The scent may let up a bit but normally returns. However, you can add certain items to the boiling water that will aid in eliminating the fishy odor. Some things you can add to boiling water to get rid of a nasty fish smell:
- Cinnamon sticks
- Apple peels
- Orange rinds
- Lime peels
- Lemon peels
The freezer method
Freezing the plastic container first is another option for getting rid of the fishy odor. This is due to scents being more rancid in warmth, and odors will have difficulty sticking to frozen material.
Mix white vinegar with water in a 1:1 ratio
A vinegar and water combination will also get rid of fishy odors from a plastic container. The most common way to mix these ingredients together is by combining one tablespoon of vinegar with one tablespoon of water. Depending on the size of your container, you may need to use more than one tablespoon. Once the container is sufficiently filled with this mixture, store it at room temperature for up to 24-hours. Use hot water to rinse, along with fragrant dish soap to offset the vinegar smell.
Lemon juice can help you get rid of the fishy smell from your plastic
You may also use lemon juice if you do not have vinegar on hand. Using the same exact measurements as vinegar, fill your container with equal parts lemon juice and water and let it sit for up to twenty-four hours.
Try crumbling up newspaper to absorb the fish smell
Believe it or not, an old, crumpled-up newspaper is another excellent way to absorb the smell of fish from a plastic container. Unlike other papers, a newspaper is fibrous, so it is capable of absorbing scents better. Place the crumpled-up newspaper inside the plastic container. Ensure the container is sealed tight. Store at room temperature overnight or longer.
Some people use coffee grounds to get rid of smells
Coffee grounds serve as a natural air freshener. You can place coffee grounds into the container, either wet or dry. Allow the grounds to sit in the container until it has absorbed all of the fishy smell.
Using the Sun’s ray to get rid of the fish smell
Sunlight and its UV rays are strong enough to eliminate all types of odors, such as mold, urine, smoke, and even fish! Leave the container out in the sunlight for a whole day. The odor is usually caused by bacteria, and the sun’s rays will destroy the bacteria, thereby eliminating the smell.
Other interesting articles: