As you’ve probably noticed, the food technology industry is getting more and more complicated.
That’s why it can be overwhelming to know which air fryers are made in America. Which ones have been approved by the FDA for use on our countertops? Which air fryers are made to the highest degree of precision and quality?
In this article, I’m going to help answer these questions and end your confusion about which American-made air fryers deserve a spot in your kitchen.
Why aren’t air fryers made in the US?
There are a couple of reasons why air fryers aren’t manufactured in the US, but it’s important to note that this is not an issue with American companies, rather it’s the result of cheaper parts and the availability of labor in other countries.
The first reason we don’t manufacture air fryers here in the U.S. is because of the cost of production. The second reason is that most of the components used in manufacturing air fryers are imported from other countries.
Cost of Production
To produce an air fryer, you need to purchase certain materials such as stainless steel, copper coils, aluminum pans, plastic lids, etc. These items are all very expensive when compared to their counterparts in China.
Furthermore, the assembly process doesn’t require skilled workers. It’s only necessary to have people who are able to assemble each component into a finished product. Since the minimum wage in the US is quite high compared to other countries, paying someone in the US to do this can be costly for manufacturers. This means that the overall price of making an air fryer increases significantly if they’re produced domestically.
Labor in other countries such as China doesn’t cost as much. In fact, Chinese manufacturers pay their employees less than $6 per hour. On the other hand, the average hourly wage of factory employees in the United States is over $13 per hour.
So, it still makes sense to manufacture and import air fryers from another country to the US since the cost of labor may outmatch that of shipping.
The different components like metals, plastics, wiring are so much cheaper in China. For example, the cost of a single metal coil of the same diameter, length, and weight may be worth around $0.10 in China while in the US it would cost at least $1.00. That’s almost a 1000% mark up in price!
This difference in prices is due to the fact that the raw materials are also much cheaper in China.
So, what does this mean?
If you want to buy an air fryer that’s affordable, then you should look for an air fryer manufactured in other countries. There, I said it.
In addition, if you want to get the best quality air fryers, then you should choose an air fryer that was “designed” by a US company and built in another country.
Another factor that determines whether or not an air fryer is made in the US or China is the standards set forth by the manufacturer. The standards in other countries are often times lower than that of the US. Oftentimes, you’ll find similar products, one from America and one from another country that is identical but made using different processes and with different materials.
For example, some air fryers are made with nonstick surfaces while others are made with Teflon-coated surfaces which are banned in most other countries including the US. You might even find products both designed and built in other countries that use cheaper and more frail components that break easily.
Fortunately, air fryers sold in the US come with a quality warranty that covers any defects within the first year of ownership.
These differences in quality standards also determine how long the air fryer will last before needing replacement.
Why should you buy an air fryer that’s made in the US?
I’ve already mentioned that there are many benefits to buying an air fryer that has been designed and manufactured in America.
Unfortunately, the sad truth is that more and more companies that manufacture air fryers are moving their assembly process to oversee.
The good news is, however, the larger companies that do this tend to keep strict guidelines in the assembly process. They run through quality standard checks with these products with a fine-tooth comb. Take the iPhone for example. These phones are actually assembled in other countries but the factories that build these phones are strictly monitored for quality control according to Apple’s standards.
But, here are three additional reasons why you should consider purchasing an air fryer that’s designed and if possible, built in the US:
Air fryers that are designed and developed by a USA company come with a quality warranty. And oftentimes, you can simply ship it in for repair and get it back before you know it. Most air fryers sold in stores come with a one-year warranty.
2. Better quality control
When an air fryer’s development is designed by a US company, it goes through rigorous testing before being released to consumers. It doesn’t matter where it’s actually put together as long as the quality is carefully inspected and controlled by the US regulators under the company’s highest standards. This ensures that every part of the air fryer works properly.
3. More information
Since air fryers are gaining popularity, the information about them is limited. Where do they come from? Where are they built? How are they built? And by whom? Many people don’t know anything about the manufacturing process of these devices. And frankly, it really doesn’t matter, does it? They only think about the functionality of the device itself and the quality that it comes with.
But, when an air fryer is designed by a US company, you can be sure that its design is based on extensive research and knowledge about cooking with one.
4. Longer Lifespan
An air fryer that is designed by a US manufacturer lasts longer than those made by other countries. The reason is simple; they’re built better and tested more rigorously. Remember the Hoover vacuum? How long ago they were made? There are people who still use a 20-year-old TV Hoover vacuum that works perfectly fine even today. Now, that’s the definition of quality.
5. Affordable Price
The price of an air fryer depends on a number of factors including the materials used in its construction. When you purchase an air fryer that didn’t exactly come from the USA but was carefully designed and monitored by an American company, you’ll save a significant amount of money because you’ll be paying less in labor costs and materials.
Designed in America, manufactured in China
If you want to make sure that your air fryer is made by Americans, then you need to look at the manufacturing location. If it says “Made in China”, then you probably won’t find much support if something goes wrong with it.
There used to be a time when quality and price were not the same. Today, you can find high-quality products at affordable prices. You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars on an expensive product that will break down after a few uses.
The best air fryer is one that has been designed with durability in mind which doesn’t make any difference where it came from.
The truth of the matter is that all air fryers are now being processed and built-in mostly in China. That’s just the way things have gone over the past few decades.
Here’s a list of all American-designed air fryers (but made in China)
- The GoWISE USA is a sleek and modern look with touchscreen menus.
- It comes with eight different cooking presets including fries, chips, pork, chicken, steak, shrimp, cake, fish, and pizza.
- It features a start-and-stop button to change the time and temperature in the middle of a cook cycle. It can also help to remind you to shake your ingredients in the middle of a cooking cycle based on 5, 10, and 15-minute increments.
- Includes a recipe book filled with over 50 recipes specifically made for the GoWISE air fryer.
- It comes with a one-year warranty and lifetime support from GoWISE customer care.
- It has rapid air technology which helps cook the food from all sides at once similar to frying with oil.
- The COSORI has 11 presets which allows it to preheat, keep warm, meat, veggies, desserts, and more. They're naming scheme include icon buttons of steak, chicken, french fries, Seafood, shrimp, root vegetables, bread, desserts, bacon, and frozen foods.
- The basket can hold up to 5.8-quarts.
- Has a rapid 360° air circulation technology to provide a crispy result using less oil.
- It comes with a removable, nonstick basket that is dishwasher safe, PFOA free, and BPA-free.
- Every purchase also comes with 100 included recipes inspired for every meal buy COSORI Chefs.
- The design produces a crispy result in less time than the conventional oven oh, and it includes a shake reminder function.
- This air fryer can go up to 1700 w at a temperature range of 170 degrees to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The NuWave Brio can air fry, broil, roast, grill, bake, preheat, reheat and even dehydrate.
- The basket can hold up to 6-quarts of food.
- One-touch digital controls make it super easy to just pick, click and go.
- There are a total of 6 easy presets to get you started right away without any hassle.
- Precise temperature controls along with a digital temperature probe that allows for perfect results, every time.
- Every purchase comes with its own recipe book with 40 customized recipes from the NuWave culinary team.
- This machine also comes with a basket divider that creates two separate 3 quart Chambers for multi-cooking.
- Wattage control allows you to choose from 900 watts, 1500 watts, or 1800 watts.
- The nonstick basket and the removable net are dishwasher safe, allowing for quick and easy cleaning.
Are there any Air Fryers that are actually manufactured in the US?
The sad truth is, not many at all. The major popular brands are all put together outside the US. In our exhaustive research, we found that most of the brands, if not all of them, we’re all manufactured in a different country.
Being that most of them are designed and detailed here in the US, you can still consider them as quality devices that are inspected to the fullest extent when it comes to quality.
Being manufactured in China may not always mean you’ve sacrificed quality for affordability. American companies will design and lead in product build and quality, but since the labor and cost of getting it built will be astronomical in the US, they’ve decided that building the air fryer would economically be left to those outside of the US.
When an item is designed in America and manufactured in China, you can rest assured that the quality and build of the items made are carefully monitored and go through several points of inspection before they are ever allowed to be shipped to American and sold here.
Other interesting articles: