As an Amazon Associate, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases if you click to Amazon from our site and choose to make a purchase.
An air fryer is a handy tool that allows you to cook foods quickly and easily. It can also be used to sear steaks, which gives them a delicious crust.
If you love cooking with an air fryer but are wondering how best to cook steaks in one, then this article will help give you some tips on how to get the best results every time!
What is the best air fryer for searing steaks?
The best air fryers for searing steaks are the ones that can sear your steak with ease. This means they have even heating and good circulation, as well as a basket with enough space to fit the steak, which will allow it to brown evenly.
It’s my belief that the air fryer that checks off all these boxes is the Ninja Foodi Smart Dual Heat Air fryer.
If you’re looking for an air fryer that has all of these features and more, consider the Ninja Foodi Smart Dual Heat Air Fryer.
It has a large capacity that can handle up to 4 pounds of food and comes with 13 pre-programmed settings so you can enjoy cooking in different ways without having to worry about whether or not your machine will be able to handle whatever meal you throw at it.
It also has several accessories so you can cook everything from fries (baked) to pizza (deep fried). It’s available on Amazon and almost all major retailers online and in-store.
Tips on how to get a good sear with the Ninja Foodi Smart Dual Heat Air Fryer
Use the Ninja Foodi SearPlate
This is the best way to get a good sear on your steaks in an air fryer. The patented SearPlate designed to fit the model will allow you to transfer heat from the air fryer directly onto your steak, which is what you want for searing meat.
According to the manufacturer, you can get the SearPlate to push right up to 512 degrees Fahrenheit.
Use a meat thermometer
This is important because it allows you to keep track of how long your steak has been cooking and how much longer it needs before being done (to avoid overcooking).
What’s the benefit of searing a steak in the Ninja Foodi Smart Dual Heat Air Fryer?
Most people who want to sear a steak in an air fryer do so for the added flavor and juiciness that searing can add.
But there are other benefits, too.
For example, you might prefer to use your air fryer over other methods because it’s faster than pan-frying or grilling.
An air fryer can get very hot quickly, which allows for a nice crust on the outside of your steak while still keeping it’s interior nice and tender.
This is all thanks to the heat coming directly from the SearPlate. Some people have commented that the heating is so fast, that it takes a little bit of getting used to.
But ultimately, you get the benefit of having a delicious, well-seared steak that you can proudly serve to your family and friends.
Another benefit is knowing that searing a steak in your air fryer is easy. You can sear up to four steaks at once with the touch of a button!
Finally, you and your family can experience gourmet food while making dinner, even though you’re just using an air fryer.
What temperature does the air fryer have to reach to sear a steak?
When you’re using the air fryer and the SearPlate to sear a steak, you want to get it as hot as possible.
When it comes to food, I’m all about getting things done as fast as possible without sacrificing quality.
The higher the temperature, the faster your steak will cook and brown up on the outside while maintaining its tenderness on the inside.
This doesn’t mean that you should use the highest setting on your air fryer every time. If you do this all of the time, your steak can easily become tough and rubbery.
To ensure that your meal turns out perfectly every time, aim for high heat (around 500 degrees Fahrenheit) with about a tablespoonful of oil in order to get that perfect sear on both sides of your meat.
How do you sear a steak in the Ninja Foodi Smart Dual Heat Air Fryer?
- To start, install the SearPlate on the bottom rails in the bottom rails to preheat which usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spread about a tablespoon of cooking oil over the SearPlate.
- Turn the oven on.
- Press the Dual Heat Mode button.
- Rotate the dial to Sear Crisp.
- Press the Temp button and rotate the dial to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then press the Time button and rotate the dial to 16 minutes for a medium-well done or 20 minutes for a well-done steak.
- Then press the settings dial to start.
- At this point, the Ninja Foodi will start to preheat.
- You can start to prep your steaks.
- Once it’s done and at the wanted temperature, it will beep and start counting down from the time you’ve set.
- Place your steaks onto the SearPlate.
- Halfway through the cooking time, you can flip over your steak which is recommended, but not required.
- Once it’s done cooking, you’ll hear a beep.
- You’re done!
What is the best way to cook a steak in an air fryer?
The best way to cook a steak in an air fryer is to use the recommended cooking times and temperatures for your particular air fryer model.
The recommended cooking time will be listed on your air fryer’s manual or on the packaging.
If you don’t have this information handy, here are some guidelines:
- For steaks, cook them for at least 8 minutes per side at least 450 degrees Fahrenheit (or until they reach your desired level of doneness and with an internal temperature of at least 135 degrees Fahrenheit).
- For chicken breasts and drumsticks, cook them for 10 minutes per side at 350°F (or until they reach your desired level of doneness with an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit).
Are there any special considerations when cooking a steak in the Ninja Foodi Smart Dual Heat Air Fryer?
Before you start cooking, there are a few things to keep in mind when using an air fryer for searing steaks.
- Be careful not to overfill the basket. We recommend you fill it only halfway with meat so that there’s enough room for circulation.
- Make sure to place the SearPlate at the very lowest rail.
- Don’t add more than 3 steaks at once.
- Do not place any steak directly on top of each other. This can cause uneven heating and could result in unevenly cooked meat.
- Set your air fryer to max temperature (usually 450 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit). This is essential for searing as high heat helps create crusty charring and gives you maximum browning potential within short time frames.
- Use heat-resistant gloves that can handle up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use tongs or spatulas for turning your steak over so you don’t get burned.
- This model air fryer can get extremely hot. Be sure not to set anything on fire… just kidding 😉
What are some common mistakes when searing a steak in an air fryer?
If you’re new to air frying, there are a few common mistakes that people make when searing steaks in an air fryer.
- First, not letting the steak sit for at least 30 minutes before cooking will result in a bland-tasting steak.
- Second, using a higher temperature than necessary will cause the outside of the steak to overcook while the inside remains rare. However, if you like your steaks rare, then by all means.
- Third, using a thicker cut of meat will also lead to an overcooked exterior and undercooked interior.
- When searing meat, you want the browning process to produce fond (the bits of caramelized meat on the bottom of your pan), which can be used for deglazing and creating sauces. When using non-stick skillets, this flavor is less likely to transfer from pan to food because the coating repels oil and water. You may end up with thin black specs all over your steak instead!
- Don’t use too much or too little oil or heat during cooking. Too much oil will result in soggy steaks, while not enough can lead to dryness. So get it right by determining how much space each piece of meat takes up before adding any liquid into the pan!
- Additionally, if you’ve set the temperature level correctly, then there won’t be anything left behind when cooking time has elapsed because everything should come out perfect no matter how long it took!
How can I avoid making those mistakes?
Here are some tips for avoiding common mistakes when using a meat thermometer:
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your steak
If you’re not sure how long to cook your steak, use a meat thermometer to make sure it reaches the right temperature.
As a general rule, most people like their steaks cooked to medium-rare (135 degrees Fahrenheit), medium (140 degrees Fahrenheit), or well done (160 degrees Fahrenheit).
Make sure you insert it into the thickest part of the steak
You want to take its temperature from deep inside so that it can give an accurate reading on whether or not your food is done cooking.
Meat thermometers are not all created equal
Also, consider that all probes aren’t created equal. Some might be more accurate than others depending on the materials used during the manufacturing process (metal vs carbon fiber styles).
This means there might be slight variations between brands which could impact accuracy readings slightly but this shouldn’t affect results too much.
What else should I know about cooking with an air fryer? I already watched it through or something else
- Keep the air fryer clean. It’s best to wash it by hand, as the dishwasher can cause water spots and damage the accessories and any detachable.
- Use the right type of basket for what you are cooking.
- Also, make sure that all foods are NOT touching each other in order to cook evenly throughout.
- Use the correct temperature and food rotation technique for your specific recipe (some recipes suggest rotating racks halfway through cooking; others won’t).
- Don’t overfill your air fryer with too much food or oil at once. This will lead to unevenly cooked food as well as an increased chance of burning or overheating.
Where can I find more information about air frying steaks (or any other food)?
You can find more information about the Ninja Foodi Smart Dual Heat Air Fryer on steaks and other foods here:
What are some ingredients that can be made in the Ninja Foodi Smart Dual Heat Air Fryer?
To get started, you’ll want to look up some recipes. There are a lot of different types of ingredients that can be made using Ninja Foodi’s Sear Crisp function.
You can find recipes for many different cuisines and ingredients, too:
- Ground beef and burger patties
- Pork tenderloins
- Pork chops
If you have a favorite dish from your childhood or culture that involves deep-frying or baking, there’s likely an air fryer version on the internet somewhere.
If you’re looking for a great way to cook your steaks, an air fryer is a great option. You can easily get a nice sear on them in just minutes and have delicious tender meat that tastes amazing.
However, there are some things to consider when cooking with an air fryer so make sure that you follow all of the tips we shared above!
Other interesting articles: